Sunday, April 8, 2007

I Know Babies Are Smart, But...

Do they have a sixth sense that allows them to know exactly when it is the most challenging time for them to be fussy? I have a feeling that this is one of those lessons I will learn as a new mom.

This morning, as my family and I were headed out the door to go to church, my (soon to be) husband, Travis, threw out his back. Immediately everything came to a screeching halt. Travis tried to find a comfortable position while I put the baby down in a safe place and started to make some food so Travis could take some medicine. Just as Travis found a comfortable position and sat down with a heating pad to wait for the medicine to work- Henry started fussing.

Now, the important thing to understand is that Travis is amazing when it comes to the baby. We have this unspoken system where we alternate responsibilities... feeding, changing, holding, etc. And, although Henry is not a particularly fussy baby, Travis is great at soothing the baby and taking him just as I am about to loose it. (Yes, I am a BRAND new mom but I am not too proud to admit that listening to my son cry relentlessly can make me crazy at times). So, when Travis is incapacitated and needs my attention - and, I am the only one who can take care of the baby - things start to get challenging for me.

When I say Henry started fussing I mean he was crying and fidgeting for about 3 hours - During those three hours I would sit down and give Henry a bottle and then get up to change him. As soon as I sat down again he was crying and fidgeting again. I tried to hold him, swaddle him, rock him... nothing worked - And, 10 minutes later he needed to be changed again. This basically was repeated during the 3 hours until Henry must have just worn himself out and now is sleeping like a little angel. Of course feeding, changing and holding aren't without their own sidetracks - spilling formula on the couch, having to completely change the babies outfit, losing the beloved pacifier... And, all of this while my partner is in pain on the couch and can't move much less even hold the baby.

So, is it Murphy's law that when my husband is sick and needs my attention the baby also requires an extreme amount of attention or is it possible that Henry really knows when things are out of the ordinary in the house and reacts to that by being extremely fussy?

3 comments:

by Travis Luther, President said...

That's a good point, that the baby is fussy because the house is out of whack. Well, we both owe you one. Anytime you want to sprain an ankle or throw out your back, feel free - but just not today!

tdstephens3 said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Henry Oliver - one month today, look back my friend and be proud of your accomplishments. You have given this world 286 poopy diapers and 3100 smiles.

Unknown said...

While it my be Henry's 1st month birthday it is also a milestone for the two new parents.
You have both entered the most beautiful world there is. The world of being parents. There will be smiles and tears, yours and his, there will be hi's and lows, both again yours and his, and there will be joy...that will last forever.
Enjoy the time...its goes by real fast.
Love,
Mom